Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chicago Criminal lawyer comments on the mayor's concern with the Big Gun case

This Chicago Criminal lawyer has posted here and here about guns. Now comes news that the Mayor is no longer confident that the U.S. Supreme Court will rule in favor of the City of Chicago in McDonald v. City of Chicago.

March 3, Chicago, Il

During oral arguments this week, U.S. Supreme Court justices signaled their intention to overturn Chicago’s strictest-in-the-nation handgun ban.

Still, Mayor Daley isn’t giving an inch. In fact, he’s ridiculing the high court for affirming the Second Amendment right to bear arms while sitting in a protective bubble.

“Why can’t I go to the Supreme Court and sit there with a gun and listen to the arguments? If a gun is so important to us on the street or someone’s home, why can’t I go to the Supreme Court and sit there with a gun? I’m not gonna shoot anyone. But, I have a right to that gun,” Daley said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Why can’t I go see my congressman who doesn’t believe in gun laws? Why can’t I carry my gun into congressmen’s offices or go to his home and knock on his door and say, ‘Don’t be worried. I have a gun. You want me to have a gun.’ Why is it they want to be protected by all the federal money ... to protect all the federal bureaucrats, but when it comes to us in the city” there’s no protection?

In a 2008 decision that Daley called “frightening,” the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Washington D.C.’s handgun ban on grounds that the Second Amendment establishes the right to own a handgun for personal self-defense.

At issue now is whether the Second Amendment applies to states as well as the federal government.

The D.C. Council subsequently replaced its overturned law with new regulations that require gun owners to receive five hours of safety training, register their firearms every three years and face criminal background checks every six years.

That just might be a roadmap Chicago is forced to follow.
It looks like the D.C. Council’s current regulations permit gun owners to have a gun, safety training, and background checks. I really don’t know why anyone would have a problem with that. Hmmm, somehow I suspect someone will have something to say about my prior statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment